Photographic musings by a camera happy chappy was born when fantastic friends and family members encouraged me to reach for my dreams...This is my journey





Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Abstract art

I often wonder what it is about a scene that draws artists into them and to paint them so abstractly. Granted, many artists paint an image exactly as they see it, but many paint an image in a way that makes it so different from the obvious.

I think photographers can do the same. You either take a picture of the obvious, with no preconcieved notions to something artsy, or...you take a picture in such a way that it completely blows the mind. Sounds like the ramblings of a mad women but I'll show you what I mean with something as simple as a row of pots. Keep in mind that I am an amateur photographer and I learn as I go along, this means...practise, practise, practise!

I took these photo's in artificial light, and at night. The pots are actually positioned inside a fireplace in order to absorb most of the light that is available.


Before I give you all the technical details, note that I used the camera's flash for this photograph. The image captured is exactly the image that I see with my own eye. No arty farty action happening here (except maybe for the placement of the pots, but that's way out my depth)

Camera: Canon Powershot S5 IS
Colour Representation: sRGB
Shutter Speed: 1/60sec
Lens Aperture: F/2.7
Focal Length: 6mm
Date Taken: 18 July 2011

The next image was captured without the use of the flash, you will notice quite a difference. To me, the image has a few connotations for my eye. It looks almost as if the pots are being swallowed whole into the dense darkness of the fireplace. It looks like a painting, where the artist has expertly placed the white lines to show the curves of the pots. It could also look as if someone just forgot to lift the flash on the camera...just sayin:



I think the differnec is amazing, and the only change was the amount of light I exposed my subject to.

Camera: Canon Powershot S5 IS
Colour Representation: sRGB
Shutter Speed 1/8sec
Lens Aperture: F/2.7
Focal Length 6mm
Date Taken: 18 July 2011

I quite enjoy experimenting with my cameras, I hope this gives you something to think about when next next you press that button on yours. Try something different, you might just surprise yourself.

2 comments:

Birdie said...

Great observation P! Keep 'em coming.

claire7q said...

It also looks to me like the furthest vase looks green rather than red? Or maybe I've got dodgy eyesight....