Photographic musings by a camera happy chappy was born when fantastic friends and family members encouraged me to reach for my dreams...This is my journey





Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Light Practise

Remember our trip to the theatre? And my 'weird' bench photo's that hubby couldn't understand? Well, I did take two other photo's that hubby didn't get either...I must be weird.

He has these really cool sunglasses, I bought them for him so natrually they are awesome! But that is besides the point here. They were lying on the table where we sitting outside and I had a brainwave! Yes, it is possible for happy chappy's to have brain waves, and very good ones at that.

My brainwave was to try and photograph his sunglasses, playing with depth and light. I don't know about you, but I love seeing a photo that has been overexposed and has light, literally filtering in from all sides. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Anyway, I took the photo from an angle, so that the glasses took up the whole right hand side of the frame, which left only the left hand side open for an abundance of light. The photo below was my first attempt.


Clearly, I have my depth right, but not the light exposure. It just looks like a pair of awesomly cool sunglasses that were bought by a camera happy chappy for her husband. So I tried again, this time I went in really close to the glasses, focused on them and 'pulled' back. It allowed the light to penetrate deeper into the frame because I had forced the camera to focus on the glasses before taking other factors in to account. This is what I came up with.


It is a much better attempt, but I have lots of practising to do yet. I also think we should clean the glasses a bit more next time...just sayin.

xoxo

3 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

I am in awe.....this is me, bowing down.....wouldn't have had the first clue how to do this....clever girl!

Birdie said...

P, you're talking Greek to me. That said, I love looking at the pretty and interesting photos you are doing. You might be focused on the glasses but it's the grain of the table in each that I keep looking at.

Cole Meyer said...

Great job! I agree although try #1 is nice, try #2 is awesome! I spent an entire summer one year taking pictures of nothing but reflections -- your hubby's sunglasses reminded me of that fun time.